Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Let it go...

Giving Day 9-
Idea #11
-
Give your stuff to Goodwill. With the tags still on them.

I don't know about you, but we have a house full.of.stuff. Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

Our big issue is clothing. We live in a small house with 4 small children. They each have nice going out clothes, church clothes, play clothes, sleep clothes, under clothes....lots of clothes! Then Derek and I have an entire wardrobe from our adulthood to add to the mix. Add that all together and its a recipe for disaster. At least in our small house it is.

Clothing is a huge issue for me to let go of. I think because when I was growing up we didn't have a lot of money for nice, stylish clothes. I always had what I needed just not always how much and what I wanted. My mom always made sure I looked cute with what we had though ( I have the pictures to prove it ;) ). But, I really do believe that is the root of my problem. I still have stuff I wore in high school almost 10 years ago. Sad, I know. I don't ever wear it. It just hangs there, taking up closet space.

Even though we have more than enough clothing I have a really hard time letting go of any of it. I always think what if ______ happens and we can't afford new clothes when this child is that size. So, I just keep it all. The problem is...I still buy more when the next child reaches that size. And, then, don't give any away. So, we're overflowing with clothes around here.

But, this year I took on this challenge of giving and have spent most of the past 2 days going through clothes to donate. A few things even still have tags. ;)

I know there are plenty of people out there who would be thrilled with the clothes we don't, or won't, wear anymore. And, I love the idea of giving them to someone else who will appreciate them more than we do.

I wont be donating them to Goodwill though. Instead, they're going to a local place that helps women in need.

Thank you, Lord, for giving me the opportunity to bless others with the things you've blessed us with.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Matthew 6:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails