Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole

I found this super cheap and frugal meal on another blog, Getting Freedom From Debt. (Sorry no picture from me) I modified to the recipe to fit what our family likes. I added taco seasoning instead of Italian and I ended up having to remove the foil, turn the oven heat up and cook it quite a bit longer than her instructions. BUT in the end it turned out to be really yummy so I thought I would pass on our modified version of it! 

Our family likes bread of some sort with every meal, we feel empty without it. Remember my bread withdraws? So, I grabbed of bag of tortilla chips to scoop some of the casserole on. If you're looking for something else to make while you're on a Beans and Rice diet this would be it!
Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole

3 cups broth (I used vegtable because thats what I had on hand)
3/4 cups lentils (dry)
1/2 cup brown rice
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
2 grated carrots
3 tablespoons taco seasoning *
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Mix everything together and place in casserole dish. Bake at 400  for 1hour.
Serve with tortilla chips.
*I estimated how much taco seasoning I used. Honestly, I put in a couple tablespoons the felt it wasnt enough and so I just sprinlked it all over, stirred and repeated about 3 or 4 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails