Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Tongue


{...for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. Luke 6:45}

I'm emotional today.

I've come a long way, climbing up out of the muck and myer, to be here.

A place where I have left a grumbling heart behind and try daily to embrace all that brings glory and honor to my King.

Today I grieve for something I believe grieves the heart of God.

The tongue. The all powerful tongue.
It can be sweeter than honey or dripping with poison.

{but no one can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of dealy poison. James 3:8}

It holds the power of life or death. 

{Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits. Proverbs 18:21}
{a gentle tongue is a tree of life, but the perverseness in it breaks the spirit. Proverbs 15:4} 


And yet, we, as believers, don't tame our tongues. 

{If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but decieves hi heart, this person's religion is worthless. James 1:26} 

We let them go without a thought. 

Without caution. 

Without thinking of consequences. 


{So also the tongue is a small member, yet is boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! The tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life and set on fire by hell.....but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. James 3:5-9}

With the same mouths we sing praises, raise prayers and bless others we bring forth death. 


{From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers (and sisters!) these things ought not be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water. James 3:10-12}

This ought not be so. 

My heart aches when I hear other believers tearing down sisters and brothers with their words, thoughts and hearts. 
I am not exempt. I still fall victim to this sin. But, I put forth a strong effort to keep my tongue pure. Bringing forth life. Not death. 

This isn't some 'cant we all get along' plee. 
If I think myself religious {God loving} but do not control my tongue then my religion is worthless.

Worthless.


Wow.

Lord, please help me to rise above. Help me to be a tree that brings forth Life.




 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails