Saturday, January 2, 2010

Aaah, the Aroma

We're on day 2 of our No Spending 2 weeks. So far, so good.
Normally on a Friday and Saturday we would pick something up to eat for at least 1 meal. Saturdays are usually busy so we're eating on the run or they're lazy days so I don't want to cook.

Today was the second of the 2. It was a lazy day for us. We got a ton accomplished though. There is an end in sight for my laundry. For me, this is a big accomplishment! I've been behind since Owen was born. So..its been awhile now. We also took down and put away all the Christmas decorations. I'm sure anyone else in a small living space can relate when I say, once Christmas is over I'm ready to have my house back to normal and less cluttered!

I really didn't feel like cooking tonight. Tonight would have been a time when I was willing to drive 20 minutes (one way) to the nearest fast food restaurant just so Ididn't have to cook.
But, I knew I couldn't. So, instead I made chicken Fajitas with homemade refried beans for dinner. Pretty simple considering I already had the refried beans made.

Since tomorrow is Sunday and, again, I usually don't feel like cooking we will usually pick up Little Caesars  pizza on the way home from church if we don't have plans. Can't beat feeding the family for $10. But, I knew we wouldn't be stopping for pizza tomorrow. I also knew the last thing I would want to do was take part of the afternoon cooking. We also have a members meeting at church tomorrow night so that limits when I can cook. So, what is the solution to my problem you ask? I went ahead and put BBQ Chicken in the crockpot to cook so it would be ready for us after church tomorrow! Yay for planning ahead! :) I'm also planning on making homemade No Need to Knead Bread rolls to eat the chicken on.

My friend Stephanie brought this chicken over to us the week after I had Owen and we all couldn't get enough of it. (Thanks Stephanie!) It makes quite a bit so we'll have a few lunches covered this week as well. I can smell it cooking and the aroma is making my mouth water as I type!

Would you like the recipe to this yummy (and easy!) dish? Here ya go! Let me know if you make it and what you think.

Crockpot BBQ Chicken:

INGREDIENTS

  • 6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 (12 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce
  • 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

DIRECTIONS

  1. Place chicken in a slow cooker. In a bowl, mix the barbeque sauce, Italian salad dressing, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the chicken.
  2. Cover, and cook 3 to 4 hours on High or 6 to 8 hours on Low. 

And the recipe for the No Need to Knead bread? Heres that one for ya, courtesy of my friend Brandee :)


INGREDIENTS

2 C of warm to wrist water
2 pkgs of dry active yeast (or 2 tbsp if you buy in bulk like I do)
1/2 C sugar or honey
5 C of flour
1/4 C oil
1 beaten egg


Directions

Put water into large bowl along with the sugar and yeast. Allow yeast to activate, become bubbly. then add reamining ingredients. Mix together, gently (Yeast doesn't like to be overly handled). DO NOT KNEAD. Let rise to double in size.(took about an hour or so) Make into rolls or loaves. Let rise again. (another 45 minutes or so) Bake in 400* oven until done.


Hope this New Years weekend has been great for everyone! So far, this year is starting off wonderful in our home.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails