Thursday, February 4, 2010

Homemade baby food made easy

 

I made some baby food today. 

As I said in my last post one of my goals that I've accomplished this year was to make baby food. A jar of organic baby food is around .45-.65 cents each at the grocery store. (With no coupons of course) At just 1 jar a day that's around $14 a month. Not much, I know. But what about when they start eating at least 3 jars a day. That number goes from roughly $14 to $42 a month. And that's the baby only eating 1 jar a sitting of stage 2 foods. $42 is money that could be spent, given, or saved somewhere else!

All of that said, making homemade baby food is not just cheaper but much healthier-if you use organic stuff.

I already had a baby food processor that was a gift when I had baby #3. But, I was over at my friend Maries' house and she was steaming the food in a rice cooker/food steamer and then putting it in the processor. So, I went out and bought my very own rice cooker. And I got it on sale at Target! Woot-woot!

Today, I set out to make some food. I bought a bag of organic carrots-you dont want that nasty pesticide residue in the babies food! I also got some organic Gala apples to make him applesauce. I cut them up and put them in the steamer. 
 Next time I'll get a bag of the Red Delicious apples as filler apples to make more. (Thanks for the tip, Hollie)  A bag of organic RD apples was priced really great at Costco so it won't feel like I'm spending an arm and a leg to feed my kids healthy!

So, after I steamed the carrots and apples, separately of course, I plopped them in the baby food processor and mushed them up. 

Next, I spooned them into an ice cube tray and stuck them in the freezer. Now, whenever I need to feed him I can just plop a cube or 2 out and viola! Homemade organic baby food! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails